Thursday, February 4, 2010

Twitterspheric Pressure - Careful what you say about the new info-sharing world out there in tweetland!

By now, a lot of people I know have heard about and read this post. When you are as high profile as The New Yorker staff writer George Packer is, you KNOW you are going to inspire comment if you criticize arguably the most influential social media engagement tool in 2010.  We tweeps are a passionate bunch. Just look at some of the reactions to the article and you will see that we have a LOT to say in defence of our twittersphere!

My two cents:

1. Yes, I am an information addict. It's what I do. I'm a communicator and it is my job to learn, grow, study, intellectualize (where it makes sense) and communicate what I know.  If you don't learn, you don't have anything new to offer...What is it you do again, George?

2. I still consider myself relatively new to Twitter, and so at the moment, I haven't figured out my boundaries.  I do spend too much time here, but when necessary, I will find a more manageable rhythm and calm it all down a bit. After all, I need time to digest the information and then do something with that information to fit it into my current profession and deliverables.  I'm getting there, but George...here's where our approaches differ - I'm not afraid to go swimming. I like to just dive in. I find it's a good approach to learning how to swim, but hey...maybe that doesn't work for you.

3. Related to this - I'm learning how to navigate these waters (a.k.a. filter).  Rather than bitch about how jumping into the stream is frightening and out of control - how about you offer some solutions to launch successfully onto this 'raging river' instead of making people feel they will all drown if they jump in.  I'm following quite a few people who are managing to sail brilliantly through these waters, and I am learning from them!

Love the spark that caused this fire.  I thank Mr. Packer for raising this topic. It makes for good reading. There's a lot I could say, but what do you have to say on the topic? I'm interested...

No comments:

Post a Comment