Thursday, April 1, 2010

The wild ride that is life

Yup - it's my birthday week.  It's one helluva week folks!  Change is definitely in the air, as I gave notice at my current job and plan to move into another job in another department.  That, in and of itself, is change, but what's truly remarkable about the change is the nature of the job, and the people I will be working with. 

Let's tackle the job itself first.  It's working in with a large group of people all dedicated to web/electronic communications.  Specifically, I will be working in the policies and standards team, consulting closely with their innovations team to build Web 2.0 initiatives, social media projects, and the communications around them.  From what I understand, I will be allowed the opportunity to be involved in the wider Government 2.0 communities of practice.  I will also have the opportunity to develop the business cases and rationales, the presentations for buy-in, and even look at training other areas in the initiatives and corresponding activities.  It's, simply put, a dream job.  Why?  Because it's innovative, it's a new way of communicating, it's a challenge, and there are significant opportunities to build consensus and communicate for buy-in.  BRING IT.

Secondly, I am very excited by the people.  If there is one single most important workplace consideration in my mind, it is your team and the leaders of said team.  I have learned, often times the hard way, that a position can be supremely interesting with great files and challenges, but if you aren't surrounded by strong or even competent management and leaders, your time is moot.  Truly, proper support, recognition of input and accomplishment, and trust to allow the freedom to be creative and innovative are, I have found, somewhat rare.  Let's just say that I have kept notes in the hopes that, should the future afford me the opportunity to lead, I will do a better job than some I have encountered. 

So, it goes without saying that I get a very good vibe/read from the individuals who have interviewed me to hire me.  I have heard a number of times that they want to find the right 'fit' of person, and that chemistry and team dynamic are important.  They are fun, open, friendly, obviously competent, and seem to really understand that opening doors and encouraging their employees reaps strong rewards.  I simply cannot wait to lauch myself into this job. 

Spring has sprung, and in so many ways, I am growing right alongside the grass, the seedlings and the tulips.

Have a great long weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. This does sound like a dream job! Congrats - and I look forward to hearing updates!

    ReplyDelete