Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Is knowing always a good thing?

So I have spent some time researching prenatal testing today. I have an appointment with my doctor at the end of the month (and prior to any meetings I have with midwives) to discuss the various screening testing that you can do. The thing is...not only am I not even sure I would do anything WITH that knowledge, but to me it seems a bit counter-indicative to agree to undergo tests that come with a risk of miscarriage. I can't even imagine how I would feel if I went into this test, only to have killed the fetus - how hideous would that be?

I guess the only option I have at first is to see about early testing (called the nuchal translucency test NT) which is done via ultrasound paired with blood tests. then, and only if the results indicate I am at increased risk for Downs or other issues, will I even discuss amniocentesis. I really don't feel like adding risk to this pregnancy, and the chances are already so good that there is nothing wrong, nor will there be...

But, I THINK my doctor said that if I want amnio, that (of course) you have to book early in order to get in. Lovely. There are certainly days when our health care seems woefully insufficient, and then others - like the day I found out that full midwife services are covered by OHIP - that make me feel that the money we pay is worth it and that we are all lucky.

So...maybe it is better not knowing. Maybe what you want to do is eat right, take care to get enough rest and sleep, and simply focus on your own health and creating as healthy a life as you can inside you - and let the chips fall where they may....

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment