Sunday, April 10, 2011

Losing it - Week One

First, let's just chat briefly about how awesome it is to have grandma and grandpa living for the next 7/8 months here in town.  It's so great.  So very wonderful. They love it, the babies love it, and this Momma loves it.  'Nuff said.

Movin' on. 

This past week (the first after my first 39th birthday) was week one of my Losing it in Ottawa / Mummy Tummy extravaganza.  How did I do? Well, I lost about 5 lbs, and, it seems, already a few inches! My starting weight of 215 or so was down to 208.  My bust down from 45 to 44", my waist down from 47 to 45.5", and hips down .5" to 45.5. Still a ways away from a lovely hourglass figure, but a start, nonetheless. 

Also, it must be said, I am still breastfeeding.  Why does that matter?  Well, given my supply issues (we all know them by now, right?  If not, you can see this post, or this one, or even this one for some details), and the fact that they say you 'burn' an extra 500 calories a day per baby while breastfeeding, I figure I can't drop my eating down by much, because I will then risk reducing my milk production.  Actually, I have to say that I did notice a decrease this past week, and so I may have to bump it back up a bit to be sure that I don't sacrifice what's more important at this particular moment.  I have many more months to come when I am not breastfeeding to get back to a small portioned grazing routine again. And before anyone asks, no, I don`t know yet when I will be weaning and stopping breastfeeding.  I just know I`m not ready to stop yet.  And that`s just fine for now...

My Diet

So what have I done about my eating? Well, cut out most of the refined sugar, for one.  That wasn't helping anything, except my mood, somewhat perceptively, for a small period of time, multiple times a day.  I never had a sweet tooth before the babies, but they say that breastfeeding stimulates the desire for sugar.  Who knew? 

Also, meals became less processed immediately, more about meat and veggies (protein and vitamins) and sauces reduced. All of a sudden last minute meal ideas no longer included Gabriel's Pizza, where our account must be flagged as 'frequent customers' because we often get free, unexpected drinks with our orders?!?  Uh...oops.

Snacktime was the most drastically altered, though.  Gone were the chips and fatty dips to be replaced with my favourite substitute, Roasted Red Pepper Dip and homemade, unoiled whole wheat pita chips.  Want the recipe?  Here it is:

Roasted Red Pepper Feta Dip


2 Large Sweet Red Peppers
¾ cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
Pinch each of white sugar & cayenne pepper

Place peppers on greased grill over medium-high heat (or in oven approx. 375/400 degrees) until roasted and skin is charred and coming off. I spray the peppers with oil to assist. Let cool and peel off skin (another tip is to cover with plastic to sweat the peppers – skin peels easier).

In food processor (or blender if necessary), puree together all ingredients.

Refrigerate for up to a week, let stand for 30 minutes before serving for best results. Serve with toasted pita chips.

----------

Exercise was simply getting out of the house for some good, old fashioned walking. In the new warmth. With babies. And friends.  That, and just a smattering of Tupler technique breathing clenchy thingies.  No, I don't like them. No, I still don't get many done in a sitting, and I certainly have a LONG way to go to get to the FIRST stage of 3x100 of them, 3 times a day.  Sigh.  Oh well, right?  Baby steps (literally).
That is all.  Week two, here we go.  Onwards and upwards.  How are the rest of y'all doin'?

No comments:

Post a Comment